General Tso's Chicken Recipe
This General Tso's Chicken recipe is crispy bites of chicken stir fried in a sauce that's both sweet and spicy. So easy to make and better than takeout! Perfect for the spicy food lover.
Prep: 10 mins Cook: 10 mins
Course: Main Course Cuisine: American, Chinese
FOR THE SAUCE
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce (light soy sauce)
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chili sauce
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
FOR THE CHICKEN
- 2 pounds boneless chicken breast cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 hot peppers chopped (Use any of Natureit's Hot Chili Peppers Seed Starter kit spicy peppers)
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh minced ginger
- 6 scallions chopped
- For Garnish: Fresh chopped scallions, sesame seeds, spicy chili flakes, extra sliced peppers
MAKE THE GENERAL TSO'S CHICKEN SAUCE
Whisk together the soy sauce, honey, rice vinegar, chili sauce, chicken broth, and cornstarch in a medium sized bowl. Set aside until ready to use.
FOR THE GENERAL TSO'S CHICKEN
- Toss the chicken pieces in a bowl with the cornstarch and salt and pepper to taste. Be sure to evenly coat each piece.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large wok or pan to high heat and swirl to coat. Add the chicken and cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring often, until the each side of the chicken forms a crispy brown crust. Don't let it stick to the bottom of the pan.
- When the chicken is nearly cooked through, remove it from the pan and set it aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the hot peppers, garlic, ginger, and scallions. Stir fry for 30 seconds.
- Add the reserved sauce and reserved chicken to the wok and bring to a simmer. Toss to combine. Cook another 2 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Garnish and serve! It is best with rice!
Stay Tuned for more recipes!